– Whoopi's Return: Whoopi Goldberg, Oscar-nominated for her role in the original, makes a brief appearance as a midwife in the musical remake, assisting a character played by Phylicia Pearl Mpasi.
– Easter Egg for Fans: Producer Oprah Winfrey reveals Goldberg's casting was a deliberate choice as a "wonderful Easter egg" for fans who have cherished the original film over the years.
– Homage to Whoopi: The decision to include Goldberg was also seen as a "lovely homage" to the actress, who played the lead role of Celie in the 1985 version.
– Oprah's Decision: Oprah Winfrey, also a producer and Oscar-nominated for her role in the original, decided not to make an appearance in the remake, opting for Goldberg to be the sole returning cast member.
– Consideration for Audience Reaction: Winfrey considered a cameo during a church scene but thought it might be distracting. She wanted Goldberg's presence to be more special for audiences.
– Logistical Considerations: Winfrey mentioned concerns about COVID and shooting in a church scene in Georgia, influencing her decision not to have an appearance in the film.
Film Cast: The Color Purple remake stars Fantasia Barrino as the adult Celie.
– Danielle Brooks as Sofia, Taraji P. Henson as Shug Avery, and Colman Domingo as Mister.
Fact Check: Is Randy Travis dead? Stagehand tragic accident explored