Transport your taste buds to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean with the Phoenician’s Key Lime Pie – a delightful dessert that seamlessly blends the tangy zest of key limes with the indulgent creaminess of a classic pie. In this culinary adventure, we embark on a journey through the steps of creating this citrus-infused masterpiece, capturing the essence of Phoenician cuisine and the vibrant flavors of the Mediterranean.
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the Key Lime Filling:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon key lime zest
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Prepare the Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish to form the crust.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow it to cool completely.
3. Make the Key Lime Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk until well combined.
- Add the fresh key lime juice and key lime zest to the egg mixture, stirring until smooth and slightly thickened.
4. Pour into the Crust:
- Pour the key lime filling into the cooled graham cracker crust, spreading it evenly.
5. Bake and Chill:
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the edges are set but the center remains slightly jiggly.
- Allow the pie to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate it for at least 4 hours or overnight to set.
6. Prepare the Whipped Cream Topping:
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, continuing to whip until stiff peaks form.
7. Garnish and Serve:
- Spread the whipped cream over the chilled key lime pie, creating decorative peaks with a spatula.
- Optionally, garnish the pie with additional key lime zest or slices for a burst of color and flavor.
8. Slice and Enjoy:
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the Phoenician’s Key Lime Pie into portions and serve chilled.
9. Savor the Mediterranean Delight:
- Delight in each luscious bite of the Phoenician’s Key Lime Pie, savoring the harmonious blend of citrusy zing and velvety creaminess that transports you to the coastal flavors of the Mediterranean.
The Phoenician’s Key Lime Pie serves not just as a dessert but as a culinary voyage through the rich flavors of the Mediterranean. This recipe invites you to create a symphony of tastes, combining the distinctive tartness of key limes with the sweet embrace of condensed milk and the buttery crunch of a graham cracker crust. Share this delightful creation with loved ones and embark on a sweet journey inspired by the ancient culinary traditions of the Phoenicians.